Pre-arrival Information

We look forward to welcoming you to the province of Alberta, Canada! We have one of the largest Ukrainian communities in western Canada and we hope that you will find peace, comfort, and stability here.

If you have questions about the information below, please contact:

The Ukrainian Canadian Congress – Alberta Provincial Council (780) 414-1624



Speak with an immigration consultant – there are Ukrainian speaking consultants available:

Please review the information below before you depart Europe for Canada.

1. Review the Government of Canada Immigration Guidelines / CanadaUkraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET)

  • The CUAET allows Ukrainian nationals to come to Canada for a period of up to three years. During this period, you are able to work and study. If you would like to remain in Canada longer than three years, or decide to settle in Canada permanently, you can explore permanent immigration options at a later date.
  • The CUAET program allows you to obtain a Visa to come to Canada, but it will not organize your accommodations for you upon arrival. Please continue reading this document for additional information.
  • Customers can now add the keyword “UKRAINE2022” to the IRCC online request, and their electronic application will be given priority during processing.
  • Information about the CUAET is available in Ukrainian through the Government of Canada website:

2. Apply for a Work or Study Permit (if applicable)

3. Healthcare (Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan)

4. Find temporary accommodations

At this time, you are responsible for arranging accommodations in Alberta in advance of your arrival. We recommend you explore the options below to help you secure safe accommodations.

  • Stay with friends or family
  • Connect with The Ukrainian Canadian Congress Alberta Provinical Council and Ukrainian Canadian Social Services
  • If you decide to rent an apartment before seeing it first, rent from a rental agency such as Mainstreet or Boardwalk. Do not rent an apartment from a private landlord without seeing it in person.
  • As a last resort, and only if you can afford it, you can book a hotel on a day-to-day basis until you settle in. Note that hotels cost on average $100-$150 per night. If you decide to book a hotel, you should note that it is often difficult to find rental accommodations immediately – most landlords allow individuals to move in or out on the 1st of the month. You can search for hotels in Alberta at Travel Alberta.

5. Bring all Ukrainian government issued and personal documents with you to Canada. Upon arrival, you may need these to prove your identity when you are issued Canadian documents.

  • These documents include: your passport; driver’s license; birth certificate; marriage certificate; health records and list of prescriptions; COVID-19 proof of vaccination.

6. Traveling During Covid-19:

7. Connect with Ukrainian groups in the city where you intend to live:

Settlement Services: